Saturday, October 03, 2009

Samba! Rio will host the 2016 Olympics

The country's president was blunt. "It is," Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva said, "Brazil's time." And the International Olympic Committee agreed with him. Snubbing Chicago on a chilly Danish evening of high drama, the IOC sent the 2016 Olympics to Rio, Brazil's bustling fun-loving but crime-ridden city of beaches and mountains, romance and slums.

President Barack Obama's appeal fell on deaf ears. Chicago was knocked out in the first round — in one of the most shocking defeats ever handed down by the committee of former Olympians, sports administrators, royals and other VIPs. They were wowed by Rio's enchanting sales pitch: some 400 million sports-mad people on a giant untapped and vibrant continent just yearning, hoping, that the Olympics finally might come to them. The story written by John Leicester continues at http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hH9JJ1DfoPLIegRa3XdI6RlJaIHAD9B3G51G0

I am glad that they have got it. Good luck Rio & hopefully I will be there to see the Samba danceJ if not I will watch this from my hometown in Kabirwala, as I have always done in my life: